Friday, March 25, 2011

We Were Seventeen

Porch pictures capture my young life. Mother was generally the photographer, using her small Brownie camera. With little artistic finesse, she managed to save moments that I treasure decades later. The resulting pictures are sometimes fuzzy, often a bit off-center, and may even contain parts of bodies but not the whole. These characteristics make them all the more precious to view. I can be transported to our farm and almost retrieve the cacophonous voices, sweetened with languid drawls. Once again I'm surrounded by dear ones whose current absence from my life diminishes it somehow.

As the next-to-last first cousin, I felt very special to be accepted by my senior kin. Family gatherings included our beloved Granny Ruth, six aunts and uncles and their spouses and my own parents. With food as our anchor, and conversation our sail, we spent many sweaty Southern afternoons together.

The years between the eldest and youngest member of my generation number twenty-two. Sadly, it was the baby of the group, my darling brother, who left us first. In the years since his loss, two more cousins have passed away. I try to keep connected to those who remain through visits, phone calls, and letters. There's something so comforting about these special people, each one unique.

Granny and first cousins plus one  1950

Some summer day in about 1950, we gathered on the front porch of our farmhouse for this historic snapshot. Fourteen cousins, Granny Ruth, and our friend, Jerry Jr. AKA 'Pee Wee.'
We were:
Row 1 (l-r) Pee Wee, Bette, Carter, Jackie
Row 2 (l-r) Kathy, Jeanelle, David, Jessie
Row 3 (l-r) Joe, Nan, Granny Ruth, Foster
Row 4 (l-r) Frank, Frank Jr., Reg, Lawrence

Three were missing that day. Gordon, our first-born of the generation, is pictured here in 2005 at a Thanksgiving family gathering.

Gordon

And Gordon's sisters, Irene and Ruth, photographed in my front yard during a visit in the 1990's.

Irene and Ruth

We were seventeen. Linked together, separate and singular. Our stories are worth telling. My husband and daughter, as well as my friends, have heard many of these tales. They know I'm cousin rich.

2 comments:

  1. I am one of 7. My special pictures usually have all of us piled into a pool or on a swingset in the Texas summer heat. There are also many fine examples of early 80s fashion on display.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I have/had a total of 40 first cousins. I am sure that number is over the allowed limit. Sadly, I never met quite a few of the first cousins on my mother's side of the family.

    ReplyDelete